Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Dukes See a Movie: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter






Many people argue that the life of Abraham Lincoln was impressive enough and that it has no need of embellishment. To them I say indeed he was quite a man and that if they wait just a few more months they can see a serious film with Daniel Day-Lewis in the title role. To them I would also like to say that they should shut their stupid faces because if you add supernatural hunting to any story and it automatically becomes better. Throw a monster hunter into Twilight and it automatically becomes a much better story that possibly could have saved me the shame I now feel for my middle name..

When reading up on reviews for this movie I was stunned by the amount of people that didn't know this movie came from a book. If you are going to review something I feel that you should be at least somewhat knowledgeable, especially when you are representing big names in the entertainment and information fields. Shame on all of them.  The book was written by Seth Grahame-Smith and if you happen to read my other reviews you might recognize the name. He also happened to write the screenplay for Dark Shadows. Tim Burton does like working with the same people so I wonder if we will be seeing more work from these two gentlemen in the future.

I would probably watch any one of these in film form, but does that really surprise anyone?


Going into this movie I was pretty excited but I was also keeping my hopes based in reality after seeing the most recent big budget work of both the director and producer (Wanted and Dark Shadows respectively).
I figured it would have some nice action and it would look dark and gritty. There were a few things that I noticed in the movie so allow me to list them to you.
  • Timur Bekmambetov loves to direct scenes where trains crash and movies with vampires. There are epic train crashing scenes in both Wanted and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. 3 of his 4 biggest movies have had vampires in it. (This movie, Night Watch and Day Watch)
  • This movie had Benjen Stark from the Game of Thrones!
  • These weren't my favorite movie vampires. For some reason their faces transformed as the attacked and they gained snakelike jaws that could dislocate and they ended up with more teeth than possible.
For the life of me I couldn't find this picture without the captions. Don't judge.

For the most part the movie follows the life of Abraham Lincoln, but where history has shown us nothing the movie gives us vampires. Mr. Lincoln worked in a general store. In real life that is kind of boring. In the movie it is a front so he can murder him some vampires! That is a bit more impressive I would say. Overall I would say I enjoyed the film. The movie is meant to be taken as a comedy but it is all acted in a very straight manner. It is this fact that actually lent to my enjoyment of the film. The movie knows it is silly but it puts on a straight face so we can laugh even more at the preposterous nature of the film.

Rating 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment